Coed, Day & Boarding, College preparatory
1000 Main Street,St. Johnsbury, VT 05819-0906
www.stjohnsburyacademy.orgDownload school profile
Founded Year: 1842
Campus Size: 150 acres
Grades Offered: 9-12,PG
Accredited by: NEASC, NAIS, VISS,
Student #: Boarding #260, Day #680, Total# 940
International Students:15% (from 30 countries)
Average Class Size: 12
Student/Teacher Ratio: 1:8
Number of AP Courses: 29AP
Teachers Holding Advanced Degrees: 77%
SAT Average: 1880 (TOP 50%)
ESL: offer summer program
100% college acceptance!
- 100% of SJA graduates are admitted to a 4-year college or university
- Test Site for: PSAT, SAT, ACT
- Students at all grade levels have access to college counselors
- College and university representatives visit campus frequently.
- Offer over 220 academic courses at four levels of difficulty including 29 AP courses.
- All students participate in 1:1 iPad program.
- Maker's Lab available for student use.
- More than 40 visual and performing arts offerings
- Excellent athletics program with 48 interscholastic teams
- There are more than 30 organized clubs and activities.
- Special programs: Robotics, Engineering design, Biotechnical Engineering, Architecture, Fashion Design, Astronomy and Weather Science , Forensics, computer science, programming, Game Design, filmmaking
The Campus is in a beautiful small-town setting in New England area, about 2 hour’s drive to Boston. The population of St. Johnsbury is approximately 6,200. St. Johnsbury was named #1 Small Town for Adventure by National Geographic magazine. Nearest airport: Boston，MA; Burlington (BVT), VT Manchester (MNH).
The school facilities are great! The campus comprises 30 buildings, a brand new library, arts center, technology center, five playing fields, and all-weather track. Indoor athletics facilities include the Alumni Gymnasium, Field House, and Farmer Natatorium.
- VISUAL ARTS: Drawing and Painting, Oil Painting, Water-Based Painting, Anatomy and Figure Drawing, Printmaking, Clay, Sculpture, Fashion Design, Game Design, Portfolio, Digital Graphics and Design, Filmmaking, Photography
- MUSIC: Band, Chorus, Jazz, String ensemble, Guitar, Music Theory, Music Appreciation
- THEATER: Acting, Stagecraft
- DANCE: Tango, Waltz, Square Dancing, Salsa, Jazz, Hip Hop, Ballet, Advanced Dance, Dance Training for the Athlete
Athletics and Sports:
Baseball, Tennis, Basketball, Softball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Golf, Football, Cross Country, Track and Field, Field Hockey, Ice hockey, Alpine Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Wrestling, Cheerleading, Gymnastics, Indoor track, Ultimate
There are 48 interscholastic teams with most teams participating in the Vermont Division 1 Metro-conference.20 Intramural sports offerings.
Geographically, the academy competes in both the Northern Vermont Athletic Conference (NVAC) Mountain and the NVAC East Leagues depending on the sport. It usually competes in Division I by size.
- The boys' track and field team has won 30 Division I state championships, most recently in 2012.
- The boys' indoor track and field team won Division I state championship for the first time in 2012.
- The girl's indoor track and field team won Division 1 state championships in 2015 and 2016.
- The girl's outdoor track and field team won Division 1 state championships in 2015 and 2016.
- The boys' baseball team won the Vermont state championship for Division I in 1993 and 2006.
- The softball team won the Vermont state championship for Division 2 in 1984 and 1986.
- The boys' basketball team won the Vermont State championship for Division I in 1981, 1982 and 1997
- The girls' basketball team won the Vermont State Championships for Division I in 2010.
- The boys' ice hockey team won the Vermont State Championships for Division 3 in 1994, 1996, 2001 and 2003.
- The football team won the Vermont state championship for Division I in 1966 and 1968.
- The football team won the Vermont state championship for Division II in 1961, 1982 and 1994.
- The football team also competes in one of New England's oldest football rivalries. In 1894 the first game was played between St. Johnsbury Academy and Lyndon Institute.
- In 2015 more than 100 games have been played between the two schools, with the Academy winning 60, the Institute winning 44, with six ties.
Clubs and Organizations:
Anime Club，Bells Angels，Breathing Room，Car Club，Ceramics Club，Challenge Course Club，Chess Club，Chinese Club，Community Service Resource Club，Dance Club，Dungeons & Dragons Club，Dynamic Youth Mentors，Environmental Club，Fashion Club，Future Farmers of America，French Club，Hilltones，Hip Hop Club，Intaglio Society，Intramural Athletics，Japan Club，Jazz Appreciation Club，Knitting/Quilting Club，Math Club，Model UN，Mountain Biking Club，Outing Club，Photo Lab，Pottery Club，Real Time Strategy，Robotics Club，Scholar's Bowl，Skills USA，Spanish Club，Student Art League，Swim Club，Tennis Club，Writer's Block，Yearbook (The Lamp)，Yoga Club，Youth Health Services
Tuition and Board for international students:
Tuition for the 2016-2017 school year is $51,560 for boarding students.
Fees for ESL Instruction are $4,750 for the school year and $6,500 for Summer ESL. The Guided Studies program fee is $8,400 for the school year.